20 gms Dried porcini
2 cups red wine
500 gms diced topside beef
200 gms golden shallots peeled whole, just removing the roots
1 carrot diced
1/2 head roasted garlic
1/2 leek peeled, washed and diced
300 gms swiss button mushrooms halved
1 bay leaf
2 tbs thyme leaves
1 tsp tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
3 tbs olive oil
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Marinate the beef in 1 cup of red wine over night.
2. Preaheat oven to 150 degrees celcius.
3. Heat the remaining cup of wine to almost boiling add the dried porcini and soak for 20 mins, strain reserving the liquid.
4. Heat a casserole dish on the stove on a medium high heat and seal the beef in small batches, season well
5. Sweat the leek and carrot until soft, stirring regularly to ensure even cooking
6. Add the shallots, garlic, tomato paste and bay leaf and cook until the paste starts to stick to the bottom
7. Add the mushroom stock and reduce until almost evaporated
8. Add the beef, and the mushrooms and cook for further 2 mins.
9. Add the stock and bring to a simmer then place a lid on and put in the oven, cook for 90 mins or until the meat is tender.
10. Remove casserole from oven, add thyme leave and adjust seasoning. Serve with mash potatos, rice or pasta
Gourmet options: Use Porcini Salt to replace Sea Salt Finish with truffle oil